Wednesday, June 4, 2014

"Goldy-Locks and the Three Bears"

watercolor, 10x18"
My children's book version of Goldy-Locks and the Three bears. This was the stage where, in the manuscript, baby bear says, "My bed was slept in and there she still sleeps!" With the surprised look on his face, he looks at the audience, demonstrating his astonishment with the given situation. You may be wondering why this is a blonde bear? Well I had a twist with The story. 

Copyright/Dedication Page, watercolor, 10x18"

My version was related to the Kermode Bears, which are a subspecies of the North American Black Bears living in the Central and North Coast regions of British Columbia, Canada ("Spirit Bear Facts." Province of British Columbia. Retrieved 2009-12-03). These bears are considered "Spirit Bears" which are prominent figures in the oral stories of the indigenous people in the area. They are not related to the polar bear, they are not endangered, nor are they their own species. Just a gene that pops up in the bears' births every now and then. But, I was just fascinate about them, and the fact that, to me at least, are not popularly known to the general public. Through my art, I am hoping I can bring that which is not known from this world to the eyes of my audience.